Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Wise Proverb

A few weeks ago I was having a rough evening. Not necessarily wanting to drink, but just having a hard time controlling my emotions. I stopped by my sponsor's house and she happened to be reading in the book of Proverbs {I don't believe in coincidences...}
Here are the words she read aloud to me:

Don't drink too much wine and get drunk; don't eat too much food and get fat. Drunks and gluttons will end up on skid row, in a stupor and dressed in rags.Who are the people who are always crying the blues? Who do you know who reeks of self-pity? Who keeps getting beat up for no reason at all? Whose eyes are bleary and bloodshot? It's those who spend the night with a bottle, for whom drinking is serious business. Don't judge wine by its label, or its bouquet, or its full-bodied flavor. Judge it rather by the hangover it leaves you with - the splitting headache, the queasy stomach. Do you really prefer seeing double, with your speech all slurred, Reeling and seasick, drunk as a sailor? "They hit me," you'll say, "but it didn't hurt; they beat on me, but I didn't feel a thing. When I'm sober enough to manage it, bring me another drink!" 

Proverbs 23:20, 29-35, The Message
The program I am in is faith based. I know without a doubt that I would not be able to remain sober without the help of Jesus Christ. He is my portion, my strength, my only hope.

And there IS hope-
Happy Tuesday~

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, indeed there is... lots and lots of hope.

Anonymous said...

this was great to read, thank you!!